Elite Tape has an extensive offering of double coated PE foam tapes in a variety of colors, thicknesses and release liner combinations. Our most popular polyethylene (PE) foam tapes are listed below. Elite #1032, #1016 and #1018 is stocked in master “jumbo” rolls in both white PE foam color and black PE foam color. Our white PE foam comes with a blue PE film release liner for easy removal and no chance of shredding or fracturing of the liner when converting. Our black PE foam tapes come with a dark green PE film release liner. These products are also offered with white paper release liner for customers who prefer paper vs. film or who will be die-cutting the foam tapes. Elite products are excellent choices when a high performing double sided foam tape is what you are looking for.
ELITE TAPE IS YOUR TRUSTED SOURCE FOR FOAM TAPES
Elite Tape offers one of the widest varieties of foam tapes. Our standard stock PE foam tapes are stocked in master “jumbo” rolls in 3 different thicknesses (1/32″, 1/16″ and 1/8″) thick. We also offer these in 2 colors, White PE foam and Black PE foam. Our PE foams are offered with an aggressive Solvent Acrylic adhesive system that is far superior in performance to rubber adhesives. Our adhesive system was designed for all foam bonding applications both interior and exterior applications. We also offer our foams with PE film release liners for easy workability and removal and paper release liners for those customers interested in die-cutting our foam tapes. We can also customize our foams with printed liners.
In addition to the stock PE foam tapes, we also offer different thicknesses and densities. If there is a foam tape you are looking for that you do not see on our website, please call us to inquire.
Elite Tape can offer you the proper solution to all of your foam tape needs. We will also be adding Removable Foam tapes, Single Coated foam tapes and die-cut pieces to our product offering.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DOUBLE COATED FOAM TAPES
What is Double Coated Foam Tape?
Double coated foam tape is a type of specialty tape that consists of a layer of foam with adhesive applied on both sides. The foam serves as a carrier, providing thickness, cushioning, and conformability, while the adhesive on each side allows for bonding to different surfaces. This type of tape is commonly used in various applications where a strong bond, cushioning, and sealing properties are required.
How is Double Coated Foam Tape commonly used?
- Mounting and Bonding: Double Coated Foam Tape is often used for mounting objects or bonding surfaces together. The foam provides a gap-filling capability, allowing for bonding irregular or uneven surfaces. It can be used in applications such as attaching signs, nameplates, hooks, or fixtures to walls, glass, metal, or plastic surfaces.
- Sealing and Gasketing: The foam in Double Coated Foam Tape provides excellent sealing and gasketing properties. It can be used to create a barrier against air, dust, moisture, and noise. This makes it suitable for applications such as sealing windows, doors, enclosures, or HVAC systems.
- Vibration Damping: Double Coated Foam Tape with specific adhesive properties can be used to dampen vibrations and reduce noise in various applications. It absorbs vibrations and minimizes the transfer of impact or vibrations between surfaces. This makes it useful in automotive, electronics, and industrial applications.
- Thermal insulation: The foam in Double Coated Foam Tape can provide a certain level of thermal insulation. It can be used to reduce heat transfer or prevent cold spots. This makes it suitable for applications where thermal management is important, such as in electronics, appliances, or HVAC systems.
- Automotive applications: Double Coated Foam Tape is commonly used in the automotive industry for various applications. It can be used for attaching trim, emblems, moldings, or mirrors to vehicles. The foam provides cushioning and bonding strength required for long-lasting attachments.
- Construction and Building applications: Double Coated Foam Tape finds applications in the construction industry as well. It can be used for bonding or mounting materials like panels, trims, or signage to different surfaces. The foam’s conformability helps compensate for irregularities and creates a secure bond.
How much weight can foam tape generally hold?
The weight-bearing capacity of foam tape can vary depending on several factors, including the specific type of foam tape, the surface materials involved, the application method, and the environmental conditions. It’s important to note that the weight capacity provided by manufacturers is typically based on ideal conditions and may vary in real-world scenarios.
Foam tapes generally provide good holding strength, especially for lightweight to moderately heavy objects. Some foam tapes can hold weights ranging from a few ounces to several pounds per square inch, depending on their design and adhesive properties.
To ensure optimal weight-bearing capacity, here are some factors to consider:
- Surface preparation: Properly prepare the surfaces to be bonded by ensuring they are clean, dry, and free from any dust, dirt, or grease. A clean and smooth surface allows for better adhesion and maximum holding strength.
- Adhesive type: Different foam tapes may use various adhesive formulations, and their bonding strength can vary. Choose a foam tape with an adhesive specifically designed for the weight and surface materials involved in your application.
- Surface compatibility: Some surfaces, such as textured or low-surface-energy materials, may affect the bonding strength of foam tape. It’s important to test the foam tape on a small area to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
- Environmental conditions: Environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to moisture or chemicals can affect the performance of foam tape. Consider the specific environmental conditions of your application and choose a foam tape that is suitable for those conditions.
Elite Tape Double Coated Foam Tape is made with solvent acrylic adhesive.
What are the advantages of foam tape with solvent acrylic adhesive?
Foam tape with a solvent acrylic adhesive offers several advantages that make it a popular choice for various applications. Here are some of the key advantages:
- High initial tack: Foam tape with solvent acrylic adhesive typically exhibits high initial tack, meaning it quickly forms a strong bond upon application. This allows for immediate adhesion and reduces the need for additional support or clamping during the bonding process.
- Good temperature resistance: Solvent acrylic adhesive used in foam tape provides good temperature resistance, allowing it to maintain its adhesive properties even in high or low temperature environments. This makes it suitable for applications that experience temperature fluctuations or require bonding in extreme temperature conditions.
- Versatile bonding capabilities: Foam tape with solvent acrylic adhesive can bond to a wide range of surfaces, including plastics, metals, glass, wood, and many other common materials. This versatility makes it suitable for various industries and applications.
- Excellent adhesion to difficult surfaces: Solvent acrylic adhesive is known for its excellent adhesion to difficult surfaces, including low-surface-energy substrates like polyethylene and polypropylene. It can form strong bonds even on surfaces that are typically challenging to adhere to, expanding its range of potential applications.
- UV resistance: Foam tape with solvent acrylic adhesive often exhibits good resistance to UV radiation. This makes it suitable for outdoor applications where exposure to sunlight is a concern. It helps prevent degradation, color fading, or loss of adhesion due to prolonged UV exposure.
- Good chemical resistance: Solvent acrylic adhesive provides good resistance to various chemicals, solvents, and oils. This ensures the integrity of the bond even in environments where chemical exposure may occur.
- Flexible and conformable: Foam tape with solvent acrylic adhesive typically has good flexibility and conformability. This allows it to conform to irregular surfaces, contours, and curves, creating a secure and consistent bond across the entire application area.
- Vibration damping properties: The foam component in foam tape provides cushioning and vibration damping properties. It helps absorb vibrations and reduces noise transmission, making it suitable for applications that require vibration isolation or noise reduction.
Is foam tape easily removable? Will it damage surfaces?
Foam tape can vary in its removability depending on the specific type, adhesive formulation, and application duration. Here are some considerations regarding the removability of foam tape and its potential impact on surfaces:
- Some foam tapes are designed for permanent bonding and may be difficult to remove without leaving residue or damaging the surface. These types of foam tapes are intended for long-term applications where a strong, permanent bond is desired. However, there are also foam tapes available with removable adhesives specifically designed for temporary or repositionable applications.
- When removing foam tape, especially if it has been in place for an extended period, there is a possibility of leaving adhesive residue behind. The nature and amount of residue can depend on factors such as the adhesive formulation, surface type, and environmental conditions. In some cases, residue can be easily cleaned off using appropriate cleaning agents, but more tenacious adhesives may require specialized adhesive removers.
- Foam tape with a strong adhesive can potentially cause damage or leave marks on certain surfaces, especially delicate or sensitive materials. It’s recommended to test the foam tape on a small, inconspicuous area before full application to assess any potential surface damage or discoloration.
- Proper surface preparation before applying foam tape can help facilitate easier removal and minimize potential surface damage. Ensure that the surface is clean, dry, and free from dust, dirt, or oils. This provides a smoother removal process and reduces the likelihood of adhesive residue remaining on the surface.
- The longer foam tape remains in place, the more challenging its removal can become. Over time, the adhesive may bond more strongly to the surface, increasing the risk of surface damage or residue. If the foam tape is intended for temporary use, it’s best to remove it within the recommended time frame provided by the manufacturer.
What types are tape are best for mounting?
Several types of tapes are commonly used for mounting various objects, and the choice depends on factors such as the surface type, weight of the object, and the desired level of permanence.
Usage: Ideal for mounting lightweight to medium-weight objects on smooth surfaces.
Features: The foam provides cushioning and helps conform to irregular surfaces. It is often used for mounting posters, signs, or decorative items.
- Double Sided Mounting Tape
Usage: Suitable for mounting lightweight or medium-weight items on a variety of surfaces.
Features: Offers a strong bond and is often removable without leaving residue. Can be used for mounting photos, paper, and lightweight decorations.
- Heavy-Duty Mounting Tape – VHB/Hi Bond Tape
Usage: Designed for mounting heavier items on various/irregular surfaces.
Features: Provides a strong, durable bond and is suitable for mounting mirrors, frames, and other heavier objects. Most versions are suitable for outdoor use.
Usage: Used for mounting carpets and rugs to various surfaces.
Features: Provides a strong adhesive bond for securing carpets and rugs in place. Designed for use on flooring surfaces.
When choosing a mounting tape, it’s essential to consider the specific requirements of your application, including the surface type, weight of the object, and the intended duration of the mount. Additionally, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper application and removal to avoid damage to surfaces.