Elite Tape offers fiberglass cloth tapes with both silicone and rubber adhesive systems. These products are strong, conformable and solvent resistant. Ideal for masking off in powder coating and light duty flame spray applications. Thermosetting silicone adhesive will increase in adhesion and remove cleanly from most surfaces after masking. Thermosetting rubber adhesive gives the tape excellent solvent resistance. Also used for coil insulation wrapping in motor manufacturing, protective insulating wrap on solenoid coils and splicing on electrical transmission lines.
ELITE TAPE IS YOUR TRUSTED SOURCE FOR SINGLE COATED TAPES
Elite Tape offers an extensive line of single coated film tapes with a variety of film backings and adhesive systems. Our polyester-silicone tapes are used for splicing silicone coated papers and high temperature masking applications. We offer these in different colors and different thickness’ depending on your application needs. We also offer polyester-acrylic tapes, polyimide-silicone, polyester-acrylic and polyethylene-rubber. All of these products can be procesed in long length machine rolls for continuous processing. We also offer these tapes die-cut in different designs and configurations. There are several applications requiring our single coated film tapes:
- High temperature masking applications
- Plasma spray & thermal spray
- Splicing of silicone treated papers and release liners
- Core start and tail tabbing applications
- Insulative coil wrapping in motor manufacturing
- Carrier tape in electronics industry offering clean removal
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GLASS CLOTH TAPES
What is Glass Cloth Tape?
Glass Cloth Tape, also known as fiberglass tape is a type of high-performance adhesive tape made from woven glass cloth as its backing material. The glass cloth provides the tape with exceptional strength, durability, and resistance to various environmental factors. It is widely used in industrial and engineering applications that require a reliable and robust tape solution.
- High-Temperature Resistance – Glass Cloth Tape is designed to withstand high temperatures without losing its structural integrity. It can typically handle temperatures ranging from -40°C to 260°C (-40°F to 500°F) or even higher, depending on the specific product. Can withstand continuous cycles of 500F for ceramic coating applications.
- Flame Retardancy – Due to its glass cloth backing, the tape is inherently flame retardant and doesn’t support combustion. This property makes it suitable for applications where fire resistance is essential.
- Excellent Strength and Stability – The woven glass cloth provides the tape with exceptional tensile strength and dimensional stability. It resists stretching and remains intact even under significant stress.
- Chemical and Solvent Resistance – Glass Cloth Tape is resistant to many chemicals, solvents, and oils, making it suitable for use in harsh and corrosive environments.
- Electrical Insulation – The tape’s glass cloth backing also offers electrical insulation properties, making it useful for electrical applications and insulation in high-temperature areas.
- Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive – Glass Cloth Tape is typically coated with a pressure-sensitive adhesive that provides strong bonding to a variety of surfaces, including metals, plastics, and other materials.
In what applications does Glass Cloth Tape excel?
Glass Cloth Tape excels in a variety of applications where its unique properties provide significant advantages over other types of adhesive tapes or materials.
- Electrical Insulation: Glass Cloth Tape is an excellent electrical insulator, making it ideal for wrapping and insulating electrical wires, cables, and components. Its high-temperature resistance and flame retardancy ensure safety and reliability in electrical applications.
- Powder Coating or Metal Plating: Glass Cloth Tape performs very well for masking and protecting surfaces during high-temperature processes such as these
- Aerospace and Aviation: Glass cloth tape is widely used in the aerospace and aviation industries for its ability to withstand extreme temperatures, offer flame resistance, and provide durable bonding. It is employed in aircraft manufacturing, maintenance, and repairs, including securing wires, sealing components, and reinforcing structural elements.
- High-Temperature Applications: Due to its exceptional heat resistance, Glass Cloth Tape is commonly used in applications where other tapes might fail. It is suitable for sealing and insulating in industrial ovens, furnaces, and high-temperature processing environments.
- Automotive Sector: Glass Cloth Tape finds applications in the automotive industry for wire harnessing, electrical insulation, and as a reinforcement for heat-resistant parts and components.
- Welding and Flame Shielding: The flame-retardant nature of Glass Cloth Tape makes it suitable for welding applications. It is often used as a flame shield or protection for nearby materials during welding operations.
- Coils and Transformers: Glass Cloth Tape is used for insulation and securing coils and transformers in electrical equipment. Its high-temperature resistance and dielectric properties make it an ideal choice for these applications.
- Pipe Insulation: Glass Cloth Tape can be used to insulate and reinforce pipes in high-temperature settings, such as in industrial facilities or chemical processing plants.
- Repair and Maintenance: In industries that require durable and long-lasting repairs, Glass Cloth Tape is utilized for patching and reinforcing damaged parts, especially in environments with high temperatures or harsh conditions.
- Gasketing and Sealing: Glass Cloth Tape is employed in gasket fabrication and sealing applications due to its resistance to oils, solvents, and chemicals.
- Electronics and Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs): Glass Cloth Tape is used in electronics manufacturing and PCB assembly, where its insulation properties and resistance to high temperatures are beneficial.
Given its specialized properties, Glass Cloth Tape is commonly found in industrial settings, engineering projects, and applications where high-performance and reliability are crucial.
Which tape works better for high-temperature resistance: Foil Tape or Glass Cloth Tape?
Both Foil Tape and Glass Cloth Tape offer high-temperature resistance, but they have different properties and strengths that make them suitable for different applications. The choice between Foil Tape and Glass Cloth Tape for high-temperature resistance depends on the specific requirements of the application.
- Construction: Foil Tape is typically made from aluminum or copper foil backing, coated with a strong adhesive on one side.
- High-Temperature Resistance: Foil Tape can handle high temperatures and is generally rated for temperatures ranging from -40°C to 150°C (-40°F to 302°F), although some specialized types can withstand even higher temperatures.
- Heat Reflection: Foil Tape has excellent heat reflection properties, making them suitable for applications where heat needs to be redirected or contained.
- Conductivity: Foil Tape is electrically conductive, which can be advantageous in certain electrical applications.
- Vapor Barrier: Foil Tape also functions as a vapor barrier, preventing the transfer of moisture and providing sealing properties.
Glass Cloth Tape
- Construction: Glass Cloth Tape is made from woven glass fibers as the backing material, coated with a pressure-sensitive adhesive on one side.
- High-Temperature Resistance: Glass Cloth Tape excels in high-temperature environments and is generally rated for temperatures ranging from -40°C to 260°C (-40°F to 500°F), or even higher depending on the specific product.
- Strength and Durability: Glass Cloth Tape is extremely durable and offers exceptional tensile strength, making it suitable for heavy-duty applications.
- Electrical Insulation: Glass Cloth Tape provides excellent electrical insulation properties, making it ideal for wrapping and insulating electrical components and wires.
- Flame Retardancy: Glass Cloth Tape is inherently flame retardant and does not support combustion, which enhances safety in high-temperature environments.
- Foil Tape generally has a lower upper temperature limit compared to glass cloth tape, but it can still handle relatively high temperatures.
- Glass Cloth Tape can withstand higher temperatures, making it a better choice for extreme heat environments.
- Foil Tape is more effective in heat reflection, while glass cloth tape is better suited for electrical insulation and high-strength applications.
- Both tapes are resistant to chemicals, oils, and solvents.
Ultimately, the choice between Foil Tape and Glass Cloth Tape for high-temperature resistance will depend on the specific temperature requirements, the need for heat reflection or electrical insulation, and the application’s other specific demands. Both tapes offer excellent high-temperature performance, and selecting the right one involves considering the unique features required for your particular project or application.
Where does Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive excel?
Glass cloth tape with rubber adhesive excels in applications that require a combination of high-temperature resistance, electrical insulation, and durability. The rubber adhesive enhances the tape’s ability to adhere to various surfaces, while the glass cloth backing provides mechanical strength and thermal resistance.
- Electrical Insulation in High-Temperature Environments – Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive is well-suited for applications where electrical insulation is needed in high-temperature environments. It can be used to insulate wires, cables, and electrical components that are exposed to elevated temperatures.
- Coil and Transformer Wrapping – This type of tape is commonly used in the electrical and electronics industries for wrapping coils and transformers. The combination of glass cloth and rubber adhesive provides both electrical insulation and mechanical protection in areas where heat is generated.
- Motor and Generator Applications – In the manufacturing and maintenance of electric motors and generators, Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive is often used to insulate and secure components. The tape’s resistance to heat and its adhesive properties make it suitable for these applications.
- Aerospace and Aviation – Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive is used in the aerospace industry for various applications. It can be employed in the insulation of wiring and components in aircraft, where temperature variations and high-stress conditions may be encountered.
- Automotive Wiring Harnesses – The tape is utilized in the automotive industry for wrapping and insulating wiring harnesses. The ability of the tape to withstand heat, resist abrasion, and provide electrical insulation makes it valuable in automotive applications.
- Cable and Wire Harness Manufacturing – Glass Cloth Tape is often used in the production of cable and wire harnesses where reliable insulation and bundling of wires are necessary. The rubber adhesive ensures a secure bond to various surfaces.
- Heat-Generating Electronic Devices – Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive can be applied in electronic devices that generate heat, such as power supplies and amplifiers. The tape helps insulate and protect components from the heat generated during operation.
- Repair and Maintenance – The tape is commonly used for repairs and maintenance in environments where heat resistance and electrical insulation are critical. It can be applied to fix damaged wires or insulate components.
Where does Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive excel?
Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive excels in applications where high-temperature resistance, electrical insulation, and versatility are crucial. The combination of the glass cloth backing and the silicone adhesive makes this type of tape suitable for various challenging environments.
- High-Temperature Environments – Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive is designed to withstand high temperatures, making it well-suited for applications where exposure to heat is a concern, like Ceramic Coating & Low Velocity Plasma spray masking applications. It remains stable and maintains its adhesive properties at elevated temperatures.
- Electrical Insulation in Extreme Conditions – The tape is often used for electrical insulation in extreme conditions, including high-temperature environments. It can be applied to insulate wires, cables, and electrical components in industrial settings where heat is generated.
- Aerospace and Aviation – In the aerospace industry, where components may be exposed to high temperatures, Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive is utilized for various purposes. It can be applied in the insulation and protection of wiring and components in aircraft.
- Motor and Generator Applications – Similar to Glass Cloth Tape with rubber adhesive, the version with silicone adhesive is used in the manufacturing and maintenance of electric motors and generators. Its high-temperature resistance makes it suitable for such applications.
- Automotive Engine Compartment – The tape is employed in automotive applications, particularly in the engine compartment where temperatures can be elevated. It can be used for wire harness wrapping and insulating components exposed to heat.
- Industrial Heating Elements – Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive is suitable for applications involving industrial heating elements. It can provide insulation and secure attachment in environments where temperatures are high.
- Oven and Appliance Manufacturing – In the manufacturing of ovens, stoves, and other appliances that generate heat, Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive may be used for insulation and securing components.
- Cable and Wire Harness Manufacturing – The tape is utilized in the production of cable and wire harnesses, providing reliable insulation and bundling of wires. Its resistance to high temperatures makes it suitable for demanding applications.
- Flexible Heater Elements – Glass Cloth Tape with silicone adhesive is employed in the manufacturing of flexible heater elements. The tape can handle the heat generated by these elements while providing electrical insulation.
- Sealing and Wrapping in Harsh Environments – Due to its durability and resistance to environmental factors, the tape with silicone adhesive is suitable for sealing and wrapping applications in harsh environments where exposure to heat, moisture, or chemicals may occur.