ELITE TAPE IS YOUR TRUSTED SOURCE FOR SINGLE COATED TAPES
Elite Tape offers an extensive line of single coated film tapes with a variety of film backings and adhesive systems. Our polyester-silicone tapes are used for splicing silicone coated papers and high temperature masking applications. We offer these in different colors and different thickness’ depending on your application needs. We also offer polyester-acrylic tapes, polyimide-silicone, polyester-acrylic and polyethylene-rubber. All of these products can be procesed in long length machine rolls for continuous processing. We also offer these tapes die-cut in different designs and configurations. There are several applications requiring our single coated film tapes:
- High temperature masking applications
- Plasma spray & thermal spray
- Splicing of silicone treated papers and release liners
- Core start and tail tabbing applications
- Insulative coil wrapping in motor manufacturing
- Carrier tape in electronics industry offering clean removal
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT SILICONE TAPES
What are Silicone Adhesive Tapes used for?
Silicone adhesive tapes, also known as silicone-based adhesive tapes, are tapes that have a backing material coated with a silicone-based adhesive. They are designed to have the unique properties of silicone combined with the adhesive characteristics.
- High-Temperature Applications: Silicone adhesive tapes are often used in high-temperature environments where traditional adhesive tapes may fail. They can withstand elevated temperatures without losing their adhesive properties or degrading, making them suitable for applications in industries like aerospace, automotive, electronics, and manufacturing.
- Electrical Insulation: Silicone adhesive tapes are used for electrical insulation purposes. They provide a protective layer that insulates and shields electrical connections, wires, and components from heat, moisture, and other contaminants. The silicone adhesive maintains its effectiveness even at high temperatures, making it ideal for electrical applications.
- Powder Coating and Masking: Silicone adhesive tapes are commonly used in powder coating processes and masking applications. The silicone adhesive can withstand the high temperatures and adhesion requirements associated with powder coating. These tapes are used to mask specific areas that need to be protected from the coating process, ensuring precise and clean results.
- Medical and Healthcare: Silicone adhesive tapes are used in various medical and healthcare applications. They are often employed for securing dressings, wound care, and medical devices. The silicone adhesive provides gentle adhesion and is less likely to cause skin irritation or damage upon removal.
- Sealing and Protection: Silicone adhesive tapes can be used for sealing and protecting various surfaces. They are resistant to moisture, chemicals, and UV exposure, making them suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications. These tapes can be used to seal gaps, protect surfaces from scratches or abrasion, and provide a barrier against environmental factors.
- Splicing and Bonding: Silicone adhesive tapes are utilized for splicing and bonding applications in industries such as manufacturing, electronics, and aerospace. They can be used to join or bond different materials together, providing a strong and reliable connection. The silicone adhesive ensures good adhesion even in challenging conditions.
Do Silicone Adhesive Tapes work best with polyester backing or polyimide backing?
The choice between polyester backing and polyimide backing for silicone adhesive tapes depends on the specific requirements of your application. Both options have their own advantages and considerations:
Silicone Adhesive Tapes with Polyester Backing:
- Flexibility – Polyester backing tapes tend to be more flexible, which can be advantageous when conforming to curved surfaces or irregular shapes.
- Cost – Polyester tapes are generally more cost-effective compared to polyimide tapes.
- Temperature Resistance – Polyester tapes typically have lower temperature resistance compared to polyimide tapes. They may not be suitable for extremely high-temperature applications.
Silicone Adhesive Tapes with Polyimide Backing
- High-Temperature Resistance – Polyimide backing tapes excel in high-temperature applications. They can withstand elevated temperatures without losing their mechanical or adhesive properties.
- Dimensional Stability – Polyimide tapes have excellent dimensional stability, meaning they maintain their shape and properties even under stress or high temperatures.
- Electrical Insulation – Polyimide tapes offer superior electrical insulation properties, making them suitable for applications where electrical insulation is critical.
What is Silicone Self Fusing Tape used for?
Silicone Self Fusing Tape, also known as self-amalgamating tape, is a type of tape made from silicone rubber that fuses to itself when stretched and wrapped around an object. It has a wide range of applications due to its unique properties and advantages including easy application, excellent sealing properties, versatility and durable performance in demanding conditions.
- Electrical Insulation: Silicone self-fusing tape is commonly used for electrical insulation purposes. It creates a tight, waterproof, and high-voltage insulating layer when applied to electrical connections, wires, and cables. It provides protection against moisture, dust, and other contaminants, reducing the risk of electrical shorts and malfunctions.
- Plumbing Repairs: Silicone self-fusing tape is used in plumbing applications for temporary or emergency repairs. It can be wrapped around leaking pipes, fittings, or joints to create a watertight seal. The tape fuses to itself, creating a strong bond that can withstand water pressure and resist degradation from chemicals.
- Automotive and Marine Repairs: Silicone self-fusing tape is popular in automotive and marine industries for various repairs. It can be used to temporarily fix hoses, pipes, or wiring harnesses. The tape is resistant to heat, oil, fuel, and saltwater, making it suitable for applications in engine compartments, fuel lines, and boat wiring.
- Sealant and Protection: Silicone self-fusing tape can be applied to seal and protect various objects and surfaces. It can be used to cover and protect exposed wires, provide insulation for handles or grips, or create a waterproof seal on outdoor equipment. The tape’s self-fusing nature creates a tight barrier against moisture, dirt, and environmental elements.
- Emergency and Survival Kits: Silicone self-fusing tape is often included in emergency and survival kits. It can be used for temporary repairs on equipment, tools, or gear during outdoor activities or emergencies. The tape’s durability and resistance to extreme conditions make it a valuable resource in such situations.
- Industrial and Aerospace Applications: Silicone self-fusing tape finds applications in industrial and aerospace settings. It can be used for wire harnessing, cable management, or as a protective layer for electronic components in high-temperature or high-vibration environments.
What is the difference between acrylic, rubber and silicone adhesive tape?
Acrylic adhesive tape, rubber adhesive tape and silicone adhesive tape are three different types of adhesive tapes with distinct adhesive properties and applications.
- Adhesive Composition
Acrylic Adhesive: Acrylic adhesive is a synthetic adhesive that is typically made from acrylic polymers. It offers a strong initial tack and good adhesion to a variety of surfaces, including metal, plastic, glass, and paper.
Rubber Adhesive: Rubber adhesive tapes use natural or synthetic rubber-based adhesives. Rubber adhesives offer good initial tack and adhesion to a wide range of surfaces, including paper, fabric, and plastics.
Silicone Adhesive: Silicone adhesive is made from silicone polymers. It has a unique combination of properties, including heat resistance, flexibility, and good adhesion to various surfaces, including silicone substrates.
- Temperature Resistance
Acrylic Adhesive: Acrylic adhesive tapes offer good temperature resistance, typically ranging from moderate to high temperatures. They can withstand elevated temperatures without losing their adhesive properties.
Rubber Adhesive: Rubber adhesive tapes generally have moderate temperature resistance. They can perform well within a moderate temperature range but may not withstand extreme heat or cold as effectively as silicone adhesive tapes.
Silicone Adhesive: Silicone adhesive tapes excel in high-temperature applications. They have exceptional resistance to extreme heat and can maintain their adhesive strength at elevated temperatures.
- Flexibility and Conformability
Acrylic Adhesive: Acrylic adhesive tapes are generally less rigid and more flexible compared to silicone adhesive tapes. They have high conformability to curved or irregular surfaces.
Rubber Adhesive: Rubber adhesive tapes are generally flexible and conformable, making them suitable for applications that require conforming to irregular or curved surfaces.
Silicone Adhesive: Silicone adhesive tapes are known for being more rigid and less flexible. They can adhere well to flat, smooth surfaces without losing their adhesion.
- Chemical Resistance
Acrylic Adhesive: Acrylic adhesive tapes offer good resistance to moisture, chemicals, and UV exposure. However, they may not be as resistant as silicone adhesive tapes in certain extreme chemical environments.
Rubber Adhesive: Rubber adhesive tapes offer good resistance to moisture and certain chemicals. Their chemical resistance is rather extensive compared to silicone adhesive tapes.
Silicone Adhesive: Silicone adhesive tapes have excellent resistance to moisture, chemicals, and UV exposure. They are highly resistant to degradation from environmental factors.
Acrylic Adhesive: Acrylic adhesive tapes are commonly used in general-purpose applications, mounting applications, bonding lightweight materials, and packaging.
Rubber Adhesive: Rubber adhesive tapes are commonly used in general-purpose applications, packaging, sealing, and bonding various materials.
Silicone Adhesive: Silicone adhesive tapes are often used in high-temperature applications, electrical insulation, sealing and gasketing, automotive, aerospace, and medical applications.