Elite Tape offers 3 UHMW film tapes. Our UHMW-5 is our 5 mil, UHMW-10 is our 10 mil and UHMW-20 is our 20 mil. Each of these UHMW tapes has an aggressive solvent acrylic adhesive system that can handle elevated temperature resistance yet remove cleanly after application use. Our UHMW-5 is offered with a white paper release liner while our UHMW-10 and UHMW-20 are offered with a blue PE release liner – all for easy removal. Elite Tape stocks these UHMW film tapes in logs 26″ wide x 36 yds with small minimums to purchase and quick 1-2 day turnaround times. UHMW is a nice alternative to PTFE film or teflon tapes where extreme temperature resistance is not required.
ELITE TAPE IS YOUR TRUSTED SOURCE FOR PTFE & UHMW TAPES
Elite Tape offers an extensive line of PTFE & UHMW film tapes. Elite PTFE film tapes are offered with a High-Density PTFE film carrier in different thicknesses coated with a high performance, high temperature silicone adhesive system for insulative and mechanical applications. Elite also offers PTFE coated glass tapes with silicone and acrylic adhesive options.
UHMW tapes are a nice alternative for Skived PTFE tapes when elevated higher temperatures are not present. All of our PTFE tapes provide high tensile strength, low elongation and high temperature & high dielectric strength resistance.
All of our PTFE & UHMW tapes are stocked in log form, 20″-48″ wide x 18 yds – 36 yds in length. Elite Tape offers small 1-2 roll minimums with quick turnaround to ship in 1-2 days. Small minimums, quick turnaround at an excellent value allows us to service and solve our customer’s problems and demands. Please contact us with any questions.
Some of the more popular PTFE & UHMW tape applications include:
- Harness & coil wrapping in transformer and motor manufacturing
- Heat seal bar insulation in the food packaging business
- Chute liner protection in the food and mechanical processing industry
- Anti-friction roller wrap applications in commercial printing and flexible packaging industry
- Mold release and plow bar applications where high temperatures are present
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT UHMW TAPES
What are the most common applications for UHMW tape?
- Surface protection – UHMW tape is frequently applied to surfaces to protect them from scratches, abrasion, and wear. It can be used on equipment, machinery, tools, and surfaces such as countertops, tables, or floors.
- Noise reduction and vibration dampening – UHMW tape is effective in reducing noise and dampening vibrations between surfaces. It is commonly used in applications such as automotive interiors, appliances, industrial machinery, and equipment to minimize noise and vibration levels.
- Sliding and friction reduction – UHMW tape has excellent low-friction properties, making it ideal for applications that require smooth sliding or reduced friction. It can be applied to drawers, sliding surfaces, conveyor belts, chutes, and other components to facilitate easy movement.
- Conveyor systems – UHMW tape is used in conveyor systems to reduce friction between the conveying surface and the transported material. It helps prevent sticking, jamming, and damage to the material being conveyed.
- Packaging and material handling – UHMW tape is employed in packaging and material handling applications to facilitate the movement of goods. It can be used on guides, chutes, rollers, and other surfaces to provide a low-friction, non-stick surface for efficient material flow.
- Wear and abrasion resistance – UHMW tape is utilized in applications where high levels of wear and abrasion resistance are required. It can be applied to components subjected to sliding, rubbing, or impact, such as wear strips, skid plates, guide rails, or cutting surfaces.
- Automotive industry – UHMW tape works well in applications in the automotive industry for interior trim, noise reduction, door panel protection, and reducing friction between moving parts.
- Marine and watercraft – UHMW tape is used in marine applications for hull protection, reducing friction on boat trailers, preventing damage to watercraft surfaces, and minimizing noise and vibration.
- Sports equipment – UHMW tape is employed in various sports equipment, including sleds, skateboards, snowboards, and skis, to enhance durability, reduce friction, and provide a smooth gliding surface.
How thick should UHMW tape be for various applications?
- Surface protection
- For applications where the primary purpose is to protect surfaces from scratches, abrasion, or wear, thinner UHMW tapes are commonly used. These thinner tapes provide a low-friction surface and can be applied to various surfaces, including metals, plastics, and painted surfaces.
- Noise reduction
- If you’re using UHMW tape to reduce noise or dampen vibrations between two surfaces, thicker tapes are typically required to provide effective noise reduction and vibration isolation.
- Wear and impact resistance
- When the application involves heavy-duty or high-impact environments, thicker UHMW tapes offer better resistance against wear, impact, and tearing.
What is the difference between UHMW tape and PTFE (Teflon) tape?
UHMW (Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) tape and PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) tape are both used for various applications due to their low-friction, high slip properties. However, there are some key differences between the two:
- Material composition – UHMW tape is made from ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene, which is a type of thermoplastic polymer. PTFE tape, on the other hand, is made from polytetrafluoroethylene, a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene.
- Temperature resistance – PTFE tape has a higher temperature resistance compared to UHMW tape. PTFE can withstand higher temperatures without melting or degrading, typically up to around 260°C (500°F), whereas UHMW tape has a lower temperature resistance, typically up to around 82°C (180°F) to 93°C (200°F).
- Friction properties: Both UHMW tape and PTFE tape have excellent low-friction properties, but PTFE has an exceptionally low coefficient of friction. PTFE is often referred to as “the most slippery substance” due to its extremely low friction, which makes it ideal for applications where reduced friction is crucial.
- Chemical resistance: PTFE tape has excellent chemical resistance and is known for its non-reactivity with most chemicals and solvents. UHMW tape also has good chemical resistance but may be more susceptible to certain chemicals compared to PTFE.
- Applications: UHMW tape is commonly used for surface protection, noise reduction, and wear resistance. It is widely used in industrial applications, machinery, conveyors, and material handling systems. PTFE tape, also known as Teflon tape, is often used as a thread sealant in plumbing applications, as a non-stick surface for cooking, and in electrical applications where high-temperature insulation is required.
Any special considerations that should be made when using UHMW tape?
- Adhesive compatibility – UHMW tape typically comes with an adhesive backing for easy application. However, the adhesive may not adhere well to certain surfaces, such as those with low surface energy or textured surfaces. It’s recommended to test the adhesive compatibility on a small, inconspicuous area before full application.
- Temperature limitations – UHMW tape has temperature limitations, and exceeding these limits can affect its performance. Ensure that the operating temperature of your application does not exceed the recommended temperature range of the UHMW tape. Higher temperatures can cause the tape to melt, deform, or lose its adhesive properties.
- Thickness selection – Consider the specific requirements of your application when selecting the thickness of UHMW tape. Thicker tapes provide increased durability and wear resistance, but they may also have a higher cost. Choose a thickness that aligns with the level of protection and performance needed.
Reasons To Buy From Elite Tape:
- 100% satisfaction guarantee on products to be free from defects on material and workmanship
- Low Minimums on most of our products
- Same Day, 2 Day and Just In Time shipping options
- Build Your Brand with our Private Label and Contract Converting programs
- Reduce Lead Time and Free Up Cash Flow with our “Pay as you Pull” program
- 30 years in the Specialty Tape and Converting industry
- Largest selection of specialty tapes in the industry